MEJC is hiring a summer Volunteer Coordinator
The primary responsibility of the Volunteer Coordinator is volunteer recruitment, training, retention and development/escalation. MEJC operates primarily through the energy and commitment of our large volunteer base, including thousands of people across the province. The Volunteer Coordinator will structure teams of volunteers that are organized and empowered to jump into action. Relationship building and intentional engagement with members of marginalized and front-line communities is essential to create an inclusive environment that accurately represents and strengthens our community.
Specific roles and responsibilities
- Coordinate 2 intro training sessions for volunteers, with support from the Core team, and assist with follow up volunteer development
- Work in cooperation with the Outreach coordinator to schedule volunteers for planned outreach activities
- Seek opportunities for new volunteer recruitment
- Provide mentorship, coaching and support to new volunteers via regular check-ins and follow-ups after volunteer activities
- Maintain an ongoing list of tasks for new volunteers, to be developed in coordination with the Core team
- Work with the Outreach coordinator and Core team to support planning, agenda coordination, facilitation and coordination of the summer community BBQ series
- Access lists of volunteers from Nationbuilder Database as needed, to call on for events
- Call each new volunteer sign-up following outreach events (within 1 week) to identify their skills and interests, and let them know about upcoming volunteer opportunities
- Foster an inclusive and safe environment, including selection of accessible spaces for events
- Check in regularly with your Core team advisor.
Training and experience required
- Experience managing staff or volunteers an asset, but not required
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, participate in democratic decision-making, and take direction from supervisor and the larger community
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, driven, and organized with good time management skills
- Passion for social and environmental justice and experience volunteering or working in a related field
- Knowledge of internal communications and tasks platforms (e.g. Slack, Trello, Google Drive) an asset
- Experience volunteering with MEJC an asset
- Gain experience working as a part of a grassroots team doing unique work in the environmental sector in Winnipeg
- Build connections to a community of people with shared values and concerns
- Develop relationships with leaders in the environmental sector across Manitoba through the existing and growing network of MEJC
- Play a critical role in growing the movement for climate and energy justice in Manitoba through volunteer engagement
- Spend your summer doing meaningful work and developing skills which will aid you in future work
Time and wages
All three positions involve 30hrs/week for 8 weeks at $15/hour. The majority of the work is flexible and can be done on the coordinator’s own time. The coordinator will be required to attend an initial meeting with the core team, and then regular meetings and phone check-ins with their direct supervisor as scheduled.
We encourage all those aged 15-30 to apply, and especially welcome applicants from Indigenous and frontline communities. We are understanding of folks’ different circumstances, experiences, and backgrounds and aim to provide as much support and flexibility as possible in these positions. While MEJC is operated primarily by volunteers, we believe these paid positions will allow people who are not able to volunteer their time to get involved and to support our volunteer base.
To apply, please send your CV and a short cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Summer Student Application 2019” Feel free to include links to any of your previous related work.
Application deadline: May 19th, 2019, or until positions have been filled