BY SIGNING THIS PLEDGE, YOU'RE AGREEING TO PARTICIPATE IN THE GLOBAL CLIMATE STRIKE HAPPENING IN WINNIPEG ON SEPTEMBER 27TH AND HELP PROMOTE THIS COLLECTIVE HOWEVER YOU CAN.
Climate Strike planning in Winnipeg is being led by Manitoba Youth For Climate Action, a group of young people who have been organizing school strikes to protest government inaction on climate change. This September 27th, Winnipeg will join Greta Thunberg’s call for a global, General Strike for Climate Action. The event will begin at 12:00pm at the front of the Manitoba Legislature and run until 5:00pm, featuring a rally, march, speeches, massive installation art, entertainment and more. Please join us.
We are stronger together: instead of attending alone, organize your classroom/workplace/union/faith group or any other association you are a part of to attend the rally together. We have made participating simple - just follow these steps:
(If your absence on the 27th is unavoidable, we encourage you to still follow the steps you can, reaching out to your networks to organize your community to participate. We appreciate your support!)
- SPREAD THE WORD: Wear a felt green circle pin to your workplace. The green circle is a symbol of the climate strike; wearing the green circle shows that you support climate action and is a great way to start a conversation. Pins can be easily made at home or picked up at any MEJC or Mb Youth For Climate Action event. By wearing the pin, you have joined the movement!
- TEAM UP: Get everyone in your workplace to wear a green circle. The green circle unites climate activists and allies across Canada. Through encouraging others to wear this pin, you are making the movement visible and helping it grow! Once your team is on board, make it official and organize a group outing to the event on September 27th. Some businesses have offered to close their doors for the afternoon or allow staff to attend with penalization - this is a great way to support the climate strikers.
- ENDORSE THE STRIKE: Advocate for your union or place of employment/education to endorse and attend the strike -- if you belong to a community group, non-profit organization, union, business, faith group, or government agency that might endorse the strike or get involved, please let us know by filling out this short questionnaire. By endorsing the strike, you show others who share your values that this movement is a place for them too.
- PROMOTE THE STRIKE: Send an invitation to your loved ones, your co-workers, and everyone you know, explaining why you support the strike on September 27th and ask if they will join you in attending the event. By inviting your network, you are utilizing one of the most powerful ways to connect people; friendship. Share the link to this pledge with your friends and family online and join+share the Facebook event page.
- PARTICIPATE IN THE STRIKE: On September 27th 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm, join us and hundreds of others at The Legislature for the big event! where we will gather for the rally, march, and collective actions and art projects for climate justice! The number of people in the street is the most important indicator of our collective power. By attending the strike, you are sending the message to our governments that we are all done waiting for climate action!
- STILL WANT TO DO MORE? Join us at the planning meetings and art builds leading up to the strike. Details for those events can be found on our website. Volunteer to help out on September 27th (check the box on the pledge form). Or, donate to the strike here.
When you sign the pledge, please also join the Manitoba Energy Justice Coalition mailing list. This way, strike organizers can send you updates about the strike and other related activities. If you check yes to "volunteer," we'll get in touch and tell you how you can get involved.