MEJC is hiring a summer outreach coordinator
The primary responsibility of the Outreach Coordinator is to collaborate with the Outreach team and coordinate summer outreach activities to increase MEJC’s engagement with community and build our network. Summer is an important time for MEJC to reach new folks, build relationships, and grow the energy justice movement in Manitoba. The Outreach Coordinator will work with an Outreach Team to plan and attend canvasses and tabling, as well as attend the events of allied groups and causes. Relationship building and intentional engagement with members of marginalized and front-line communities is essential to ensure an inclusive environment that accurately represents and strengthens our community. The successful applicant should be passionate about energy justice, have some experience with organizing volunteers, and be comfortable engaging in conversation with new people. They will work closely with the other summer students and receive regular support from a dedicated mentor from the Outreach and/or Core team.
Specific roles and responsibilities
- Identify opportunities for outreach and add them to the MEJC outreach calendar
- Coordinate and attend outreach events (or assign a lead from the Outreach team for events you cannot attend)
- Work with the volunteer coordinator and core team to support planning, facilitation and coordination of the summer community the BBQ series
- Connect with relevant organizations and look for outreach opportunities
- Coordinate with the data entry team after each outreach event to pass on new sign ups
Coordinating outreach team volunteers:
- Assist in on-boarding and training new outreach volunteers
- Follow-up with volunteers after each outreach event
- Coordinate and support training sessions for outreach volunteers. Following-up with volunteers after each outreach event to receive feedback and build relationships,
- Support scheduling of outreach volunteers
- Create and maintain Outreach team to-do list, tracking which volunteers are assigned to which tasks and following up to foster a culture of accountability and timeliness.
Training and experience required
- Experience managing staff or volunteers an asset, but not required
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, participate in democratic decision-making, and take direction from supervisor and the larger community
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, driven, and organized with good time management skills
- Passion for social and environmental justice and experience volunteering or working in a related field
- Knowledge of internal communications and tasks platforms (e.g. Slack, Trello, Google Drive) an asset
- Experience volunteering with MEJC an asset
- Gain experience working as a part of a grassroots team doing unique work in the environmental sector in Winnipeg
- Build connections to a community of people with shared values and concerns
- Develop relationships with leaders in the environmental sector across Manitoba through the existing and growing network of MEJC
- Play a critical role in growing the movement for climate and energy justice in Manitoba through volunteer engagement
- Spend your summer doing meaningful work and developing skills which will aid you in future work
Time and wages
All three positions involve 30hrs/week for 8 weeks at $15/hour. The majority of the work is flexible and can be done on the coordinator’s own time. The coordinator will be required to attend an initial meeting with the core team, and then regular meetings and phone check-ins with their direct supervisor as scheduled.
We encourage all those aged 15-30 to apply, and especially welcome applicants from Indigenous and frontline communities. We are understanding of folks’ different circumstances, experiences, and backgrounds and aim to provide as much support and flexibility as possible in these positions. While MEJC is operated primarily by volunteers, we believe these paid positions will allow people who are not able to volunteer their time to get involved and to support our volunteer base.
To apply, please send your CV and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Summer Student Application 2019” Feel free to include links to any of your previous related work.
Application deadline: May 19th, 2019, or until positions have been filled